Monday, October 28, 2013

Food: Connie's Kale Salad

It's official, I'm in love with Kale! Kale is oh so versatile and also healthy. It's adds a nutritious boost to smoothies, a great addition to pasta dishes and then there's kale chips, so delish! But my favorite way to eat Kale is in a salad. I could eat Kale salad all day everyday, it's that good!

Connie's Kale Salad



Ingredients:
  • (1) Bunch of Kale
  • 1/2 Cup dried Cranberries or Raisins (we like an assortment of raisins - raisin melody)
  • 1/4 Cup Nuts (Slivered Almonds, Peanuts, Pine, Sunflower, whatever you want - I think almonds or peanuts are best)
  • 1 or 2 Apples, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. salt or garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped Red Onion (optional - forgot this last time and it was still very good)
  • Crumbled Goat Cheese - 1 small container
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other oil such as Avocado Oil (my new fav!) 
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Honey
  • Pepper
  • Grilled & cut chicken breast (optional, usually add if having as main dish)
Rinse kale, pat dry, and tear bite size pieces off stems into large salad bowl (do not use stems - they have a icky dirt flavor, in my opinion, anyway) 

Sprinkle with salt or garlic salt and massage into kale until it turns dark green and tender.
 (You will also notice it will shrink to about half) 

To make dressing in smaller bowl or measuring cup mix olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and pepper--- or just add on top, this is what I usually do, then mix it all up - just a little bit of each... I also like to add a little rosemary or other seasoning I'm in the mood for.


(<---- Apple Cider Vinegar from Apple Hill)

Toss dressing into salad. At this point you can cover and keep refrigerated until ready to eat (It tastes better cold! Usually just 20 min is fine, but I've refrigerated overnight as well).

Top with nuts, dried cranberry/raisins, chopped apple, red onion, goat cheese and enjoy!

Sooooo good!!


- Connie



No comments:

Post a Comment