Sunday, October 14, 2012

Food: Tamale Pie

 
Yes!! It's the weekend Baby!!!
 

My hubby has school at night during the week, so I always enjoy cooking for us over the weekend.
I had some ground turkey I could use, but couldn't decide what to do with it. I was telling my mom this over the phone and she told me about this recipe she wanted to try. It sounded yummy and I just so happened to have all the ingredients :)
Anyway, it turned out great, so I thought I'd share. Enjoy!


Tamale Pie

 
 
Serves 6 - or 2 & have leftovers :)
 
1 Lb Ground Turkey or Lean Ground Beef
1 Cup chopped Onion
3/4 Cup Bell Pepper, Chopped
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 (15-oz.) can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
(Optional - I added corn as well)
1 (7-oz.) package Cornbread Mix
1 Cup (4-oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg
1/2 Cup Milk

1. Preheat oven to 425

2. Saute ground beef, onion, bell pepper, (corn) and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet oven medium-high heat, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink.


Then add chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, tomatoes and kidney beans and cook for additional 3 minutes.

Sppon beef mixture into a lightly greased 11-x-7-in. baking dish.

3. Stir together cornbread mix and cheese in mixing bowl; add egg and milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.


Spread batter over top of beef mixture.

4. Bake 18 minutes or until top is golden.

Wallah!! Yummmm


Hope you like it!

XOXO,

Connie




No comments:

Post a Comment